Monday, March 8, 2010

Double Post Monday part 2! The Cookbook Challenge - Weeks 15 & 16

The weather has been frightful in Melbourne this weekend. You can see photos on The Age website here. Check out photo 37. There's a car under there. I saw it with about a foot to go. Funnily enough, I didn't end up going that way after all. 

Luckily we escaped with only minimal storm damage, unlike many other people as you can see from those photos. And the poor SES, they will have been working hard to help people, giving up their long weekend.

Well, this all meant perfect soup weather. Marie Claire's Kitchen produced a recipe for miso broth with somen noodles, shiitake and pumpkin.

 
Yep, more pumpkin - I don't know why I always have left over pumpkin...

Yet again, I didn't quite follow the recipe, and went with what I had in the pantry. instant soup mix, and soba noodles instead of somen. I think it still looks the same. And it tasted great!





Miso broth with somen noodles, shiitake and pumpkin
serves two

the cheat's (Kate's) version of Marie Claire's. 

3 dried shiitake mushrooms
2 sachets of instant miso soup
1 tablespoon soy sauce
150g pumpkin - 2 cm cubes
100 g soba noodles
2 spring onions sliced diagonally




Cover the mushrooms with 250ml hot water and soak for about half an hour. Remove, reserving the liquid, and finely slice the mushrooms.

Put the mushrooms, miso soup powder, soy sauce, pumpkin, reserved mushroom liquid and 500ml water into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender. 

I love these asymmetrical bowls I picked up in Garrards. 
They're perfect for soup
Meanwhile, cook the soba noodles in rapidly boiling water for approximately four minutes, drain and divide among two bowls.

I was disappointed these cooked so quickly. I loved watching them swirling around the pot!

Spoon the soup over the noodles and sprinkle the spring onions over the top.



There you go, that's something by Kate.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, it really does look just like the one in the book! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the first time ever Agnes! I've never reproduced something that looked like the book before.

    To be fair, it would probably be more difficult with this dish to make it look NOT like the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you survived the wild weather, Kate! The noodles look delicious, but I have to admit - I have that book, and have yet to find something to cook from it..maybe this might be the one.. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Free Hit Counter